Bill Barker wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Francois Arcand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 6:20 AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] 5.0.9 stability rating

Bill Barker wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 12:32 AM

Bill Barker wrote:

Tim Funk wrote:

Installed 5.0.9 from exe (win2k)
1) startup.bat worked fine, but the icon which calls tomcatw.exe"
//GT//Tomcat5 fails will some "Current Thread not owner error"
2) Race conditions and connection handling in JDBCRealm - plus a

whole

host of other JDBCRealm bugs in Bugzilla applicable to 4 and 5. I

hope

early next week to have a patch which will close many of the

JDBCRealm

bugs.
3) Need to reinvestigate the JNDIRealm bug reopened.

For the first error - I am sure I just need to look through bugzilla,

or

the archives and just need to add something to the README. (User

error)

This works for me, Bill, and presumably others. There are reports on
tomcatw in BZ, so it must be at least an uncommon error (given the

code

have stayed stable for a few releases). Even if the bug is mildly
common, the old shell scripts are still there. I can put a note

stating

that they can be used in case the new .exe wrapper somehow fails.

I'm staying by my "beta" rating. Again, we cannot continue releasing
alphas just because there could be some non obvious bugs in the build.
In the current system, the period before the vote is meant to check if
there are no showstoppers. If the build is mostly clean, it must be a
beta, otherwise, it merely delays wider testing and finding bugs,

which

is *bad*.

Ok. I'm willing to vote for a (weak) Beta in exchange for a

release-note

that Tomcat doesn't implement the current-draft's Authentication
requirements.

What is your plan, BTW ? Wait a bit more for the deadline to see what
the final specification will say ? (IMO, the old auth matching rules
were not very good)

I was hoping for a pfd4, but it doesn't look like it's coming out anytime
soon :-(. It's a pretty big change to conform to pfd3 (which is a
completely nonsensical requirement :), so I was playing the wait-and-see
game. Of course, I'm more than happy to do the grunt work to bring

Tomcat

into compliance with pfd3.  However, if the spec changes to something
sensible, then that means two big (e.g. changing interfaces in o.a.c) API
changes.

The spec should'nt change now. I don't really understand why you think
we aren't complinat right now....I tough your last change was to bring
back compatibility with PFD 3.  Do you have an example I can use to
demonstrate the problem?

Thanks,

The following doesn't work correctly according to pfd3:

<security-constraint>
 <web-resource-collection>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
 </web-resource-collection>
 <auth-constraint>
    <role-name>*</role-name>
 </auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>
<security-constraint>
 <web-resource-collection>
    <url-pattern>/product1/*</url-pattern>
 </web-resource-collection>
 <auth-constraint>
    <role-name>product1</role-name>
 </auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>
<security-constraint>
 <web-resource-collection>
    <url-pattern>/product2/*</url-pattern>
 </web-resource-collection>
 <auth-constraint>
    <role-name>product2</role-name>
 </auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>

With Tomcat, you need role 'product1' to access /myapp/product1, role
'product2' to access /myapp/product2, and must be authenticated to access
anything else.

The correct behavior is that any authenticated user can access anything.

My understanding of the spec is that is the proper behaviour (just discussed the issue with the spec lead). Having role-name equals to * doesn't means you have access to /product1/* etc. The spec will be clarified (but the required behaviour will stay the same)

-- Jeanfrancois

-- Jeanfrancois

Remy

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above

as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED
and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read,
copy, or distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then
delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent

through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive
information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal
identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted)
e-mail.