----- Original Message -----
From: "jean-frederic clere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: Committing binaries in CVS [Was] RE: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/procrun/bin tomcat.exe tomcatw.exe

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> > Ignacio J. Ortega wrote:
> >
> >> Hola a todos:
> >> (Many time from my last post, things are settling here, so hope i will
> >> contribute some code in future :) shields up, nacho will be messing
> >> things shortly, now i'm only moderating our lists, and as some person
> >> said time ago "moderation is to coding what washing dishes is to
> >> cooking" :))
> >>
> >> I know this was discussed before, but i dont really understand why it's
> >> needed to have a binary (moreover a win32 binary ) in CVS, and if there
> >> isn't a very good reason to do so, i'm against, and if there is a very
> >> good reason, i hope i should be applicable to any other binary we
> >> produce.. thing that i sincerely doubt ..
> >

> > Sorry to disagree, but it's impossible to build the said binaries
> > without expensive compilers. (please do not suggest Cygwin)
>
> Why? Is the Makefile broken?

AFAIK, no.  It's just that Remy can't publish a version that requires
Cygwin.  And, as Remy has pointed out, to build a version of procrun that
runs under a plain-vanilla install of Windows requires that you have a
commercial (read MSVC) compiler.  The cost of requiring this is just too
high to demand of an O/S project.  Now, if someone wants to suggest an O/S
C-compiler for Windows that doesn't require Cygwin, I'm all ears :).

> > So -1 to remove them, I need them where they are.
> >
> > Remy

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this
message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the
Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as
social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and
passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.