It seemed to me that in the old days, posts were held until a moderator
let them through.  You had to be put on an approved list to have direct
posting access.  At least, that's how the posting delay for new
subscribers was explained.  As I undertand it, none of these messages
would have made it through under that system.

I wouldn't call the current situation as "moderated" so much as
"managed".  Is there a reason that the developers list allows posting
from non-subscribers?  Or are these troubled addresses actually fully
subscribed?

-Paul