Hi,

>It seemed to me that in the old days, posts were held until a moderator
>let them through.

That was true for some lists.  Very few lists are so light in traffic
that that's possible now.

>subscribers was explained.  As I undertand it, none of these messages
>would have made it through under that system.

That's true, but that system is not feasible for tomcat-dev and
tomcat-user, as it requires moderators to screen thousands of messages
daily.

>I wouldn't call the current situation as "moderated" so much as
>"managed".  Is there a reason that the developers list allows posting
>from non-subscribers?  Or are these troubled addresses actually fully
>subscribed?

All these addresses are fully subscribed (i.e. they responded to the
subscription confirmation message).  Only subscribed addresses may post
here.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.