Just as existing committers VOTE to add new committers, ASF Members do the same.

So my 2 cents, If you wish to effect change, lobby/hint someone you know that you are
interested
(see list at http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html) as there are periodic
VOTE's (there
was one during last ApacheCon).