Costin Manolache wrote:

Davanum Srinivas wrote:

Henri,

it's a recommendation, NOT a mandate. So even if this is not done it's ok
(http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg06498.html)

-- dims

A mandate means something like "if you don't do that, your accounts and/or project CVS will be disabled"

OK

A recommendation means "you should do that, it's in the best interest of
the foundation"

OK

The problem is that this is a recommendation combined with an ambiguous legal threat ( as usual ) - if someone would propose that we implement this, I don't think I could vote -1 ( given the undefined "legal" implications on ASF and committer protection - I'm not a lawyer, so if the board implies that we may create legal problems ... ) ( well, I would vote with my feet - that's sure ).

I could understand legal implications in removing some binaries with incompatible license (even if it will create a great confusion in end users mind), but still wonder the legal reasons to remove author tag .