Costin Manolache wrote:
If you're worried about risk, then probably glueing PHP with tomcat will be a bad choice.

Tomcat is limited by Java's bad support for integration with native code. Apache will have no problem running Php, perl, python, .net or integrating with any native library that exists today. For tomcat running openSSL seems to be a big thing, and we know too well how difficult it is to get it working with JNI.

For tomcat - you can attempt to rewrite/replace every feature in Java ( we are doing this for LDAP auth for example - not sure if JNDI is better or faster than the native ldap auth in apache ). Or you can try to use JNI or connectors - like mod_jk. Or you can just use what already works and is stable, and do something better with your time :-)

We'll see the result when it's done :) If Mladen wants to try it because he feels like he has a need for it, it's fine by me.

And there is the maintainability, scalability, etc. which I think Java is
better at.

Java may be more maintainable - but in this particular case do you think PHP + JNI/connector + tomcat would be more maintainable than the existing and well tested Apache + mod_php ?

Well, it doesn't seem that PHP + Apache 2 is that well tested either ;)

In the end, the JSR from Zend and others shows this may not be a bad direction. Obviously, mod_jk and similar technologies need to exist for integration purposes, or any setup where Java isn't the main technology used.

Rémy