From what I hear, the current PHPServlet is okay for simple things, but the integration you're looking for is not quite there yet.

There's some work going on to let Java and scripting languages act more friendly with each other. For those who are interested, check out JSR-223, Scripting Pages in Java Web Applications.

http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=223

This JSR focuses on tight integration between PHP (or other scripting languages) and Java webapps. Zend is an active participant on the expert group and is interested in such integration.

I believe they're building their RI on top of Tomcat.

Cool stuff!

---
Mark Roth, Java Software
JSP 2.0 Specification Lead
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Costin Manolache wrote:
Nice :-)

Did you try it ? I'm curious, could you run a quick helo world benchmark ( helo.jsp / help.php ) ?

The big question is the level of integration - i.e. if you can call java
objects from php or use some of the nice PHP features from java.

Costin

Henri Gomez wrote:

Hi to all,

Mladen discussed about using PHP from Tomcat.

Jean-Frederic Clere make some tests during his vacation
and send me the following mail to be forwarded to the list :

Good news, tomcat+php it's easy, php allready have support for.
I make a simple try and here's the resulting 'readme' :
++++
Using php in Tomcat5: Easy a servlet is available in php (I have tried with
php-4.3.5)

configure the php with:
./configure --with-servlet=$TOMCAT_HOME --with-java=$JAVA_HOME
a jarfile and dynamic library are produced:
- sapi/servlet/phpsrvlt.jar
- libs/libphp4.so

Copy jarfile and arrange web.xml:
cp $PHP_HOME/sapi/servlet/phpsrvlt.jar $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib
copy the $PHP_HOME/sapi/servlet/web.xml servlet and servlet-mapping in the
$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml

Start the Tomcat:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PHP_HOME/libs
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start

Try it:
Create a file named ./webapps/ROOT/test.php containing:
+++
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
+++
Call it:
http://localhost:8080/test.php

Patch for the configure of php:

--- configure.org       2004-04-07 11:20:24.000000000 +0200
+++ configure   2004-04-07 11:22:50.000000000 +0200
     if test "$withval" = "yes"; then
       SERVLET_CLASSPATH=.
     else
+      if test -f $withval/common/lib/servlet-api.jar; then
+        SERVLET_CLASSPATH=$withval/common/lib/servlet-api.jar
+      fi
+
       if test -f $withval/lib/servlet.jar; then
         SERVLET_CLASSPATH=$withval/lib/servlet.jar
      fi
++++