The point is better native integration, php support will be just an example
of such integration.

> Jean-Frederic Clere make some tests during his vacation and
> send me the following mail to be forwarded to the list :

> Good news, tomcat+php it's easy, php allready have support for.

This module is totally unusable although it was written by Sam Ruby :(.
Also it doesn't support php5 and it's even removed from cvs.

Here are some statemets from one of the leading php developers (Sebastian
Bergman):
http://www.zend.com/lists/php-dev/200308/msg00571.html

> about two or three times a month I receive mails concering the Servlet
> SAPI module of PHP 4.
>
> This module is not usable in production since it segfaults after the
>  first or second request.
>
>  Are there any plans to rewrite this SAPI module for PHP 5?

MT.