Andy Armstrong wrote:

I have concrete examples of people giving up on Tomcat altogether for no other reason than the fact that they couldn't get JK configured. By comparison the rest of the task of configuring Tomcat is a walk in the park. Please let's not be so up ourselves that we forget that it's nice for people to actually be able to use the software.

As a lurker on this list I can give myself and everyone I've ever worked with as concrete examples of some people that have given up on 4.1+ tomcat because of JK configuration.

I can count at least 12 projects I have worked on, or am working on, that are still on Tomcat 4.0.6 with mod_webapp because we could never get JK to do what we wanted. That is, mount this webapp at that URI in one line and be done with it. All the other JK features are great but 90% of the configurations are going to be like the one I just described and no one can figure out how to do it.

I love what you guys are doing. I think you should strive to make the most common configuration as simple as mod_webapp and allow people to add complexity if their needs require it.

-Cavan