Graham Leggett wrote:

In all my deployments of tomcat I have never seen the point of a custom protocol that did exactly what HTTP does, so all my tomcat deployments are all HTTP, with a simple mod_proxy frontend.

Even the "get Apache to server static content" feature wasn't enough of a drawcard, as proper HTTP cache handling and a suitable cache solved this problem. It was far more important for me to arrange the web application as a self contained unit - I would rather be more tidy with an install at the expense of a slightly higher load, than sacrifice a clean install to save some cycles.

There is a bit more - we want to be able to have Apache authenticate and pass this info to tomcat for example. I don't know if this can be done with mod_proxy ( maybe have it add an extra header - but that may have security problems ).

And in fine, we like to have some JMX like functionnalities in Apache 2,
in our case MX for C Management Extension, a way to update Apache 2.x
configuration while the server is running...

This is possibly a whole separate project in itself.

I have been meaning to work on a get-apache-config-out-of-ldap extension for a while, what it really should be is "get apache config out of wherever", but this should be an Apache wide thing, not limited to a single module or technology.

The actual problem is how to push config changes without restarting the server. Some changes obviously require restart, but chaning mappings for example should be dynamic.

In MPM multithreaded mode some modules may cache session information - frequent restarts are going to be more difficult than with single threaded server.