Costin Manolache wrote:

Graham Leggett wrote:

In all my deployments of tomcat I have never seen the point of a custom protocol that did exactly what HTTP does, so all my tomcat deployments are all HTTP, with a simple mod_proxy frontend.

Even the "get Apache to server static content" feature wasn't enough of a drawcard, as proper HTTP cache handling and a suitable cache solved this problem. It was far more important for me to arrange the web application as a self contained unit - I would rather be more tidy with an install at the expense of a slightly higher load, than sacrifice a clean install to save some cycles.

There is a bit more - we want to be able to have Apache authenticate and pass this info to tomcat for example. I don't know if this can be done with mod_proxy ( maybe have it add an extra header - but that may have security problems ).

That is a hard requirement for us as well.

And in fine, we like to have some JMX like functionnalities in Apache 2,
in our case MX for C Management Extension, a way to update Apache 2.x
configuration while the server is running...

This is possibly a whole separate project in itself.

Agreed. It sounds like a great project, but a *separate* project and module.

--
Jess Holle