Hello Mladen,

after a very long thinking I have missing a hot Standby feature, when we remove local_work flag.

Example
two   tomcat instance with local_worker=true and domain=A
one   tomcat instance with local_worker=false and domain=B

New session only generate to domain A tomcat instance
After complete disable all domain A instance, the new sessions fork to tomcat instances at domain B ( hot standby)
After complete domain A instances failure all requests forward to domain B instances.

How I can configure this without local_work flag?
I thing we can rename the flag to preferred_worker.

Peter

Mladen Turk schrieb:

Hi,

I would like to deprecate the local_worker and local_worker_only
directives.

The reason is that we have now shared memory, and thus more powerful
ways to accomplish it's use.

Now, we two new directives 'redirect' and 'domain' that are more
powerful then exiting ones.

Here is how it works:

1. If there is a session the request is routed to the worker.
2. If there is no session and the worker is disabled, meaning not
   accepting new connections then the request is redirected to
   the 'redirect' router if present or 'domain' if not.
3. If there is a session and the worker is in error state and
   the 'sticky_session_force' is not set then the 'redirect'
   and 'domain' are checked.
4. If there is a session and the worker is in error state and
   the 'sticky_session_force' is set the 500 is returned.

Here is the simple state table:
('x' means don't care, '-' means not set)
| worker | session | route | domain | force | err | dis | result |
| w1     | w1      |   x   |   x    | x     | 0   |  x  | w1     |
| w1     | w1      |   x   |   x    | 1     | 1   |  x  | 500    |
| w1     | w1      |   w2  |   x    | 0     | 1   |  x  | w2     |
| w1     | w1      |   -   |   grp  | 0     | 1   |  x  | grp    |
| w1     | -       |   -   |   -    | x     | 0   |  0  | any    |
| w1     | -       |   -   |   grp  | x     | 0   |  0  | grp    |
| w1     | -       |   -   |   -    | x     | 0   |  1  | !w1    |

So, basically the local_worker_only will become 'sticky_session_force', that is more descriptive meaning of the actual usage.

Regards, Mladen.