I am afraid, you are out of luck... But I hope someone will say I am wrong...

The apache has a "parent" process which runs as root, and spawns children
processes as "nobodies" (or whatever). Tomcat is running a single
process, does not spawn children, and from the beginning to the end
is the same user (starts and dies the same user id).

But of course, you can always start Apache as root to listen to port 80
and talk to tomcat, which does not have to run as root if its
Connctor runs on a port > 1024 (say 8007).

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Trevor Little wrote:

> I want to create a tomcat user and start tomcat on port 80 under linux.
> I know only root can use ports below 1024.  However, apache can run as
> someone other than root and still use port 80.  I want to do something
> similar.  I know to change the ports settings on server.xml.
>
> Thanks

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.osc.edu/