"Brett Perkes" wrote:
>> I can start Tomcat from the command line and it continues to run great, even
>> runs my servlets nicely.  My problem is that when I start it at boot time it
>> runs for a short period of time and then dies.  I'm curious if there is a
>> some sort of log file or listing that I can read in order to get an idea of
>> why the program quits.

With Tomcat 3.2.1, JDK 1.3 on RedHat 6.2, I wrote a very simple
/etc/rc.d/init.d script, chkconfig'd for init levels 345 that runs the
tomcat/bin/startup.sh script to start tomcat, and runs the
tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh to stop them.

The init.d script redirects any output from either script to a file in
/var/log.  It also sets TOMCAT_HOME and JAVA_HOME before running either
script.  Works great every time.

Oh, for security reasons, the init.d script runs these commands "su nobody",
and all of the tomcat files are owned by "nobody".

dave