Hello Tomcat cracks

I'm new to Tomcat administration and would like to switch from ServletExec to Tomcat 4.1.

However, I have some difficulty understanding how to set up different Tomcat instances. I'd like to have different Tomcat instances for each developer (to test web applications) and for each application.

Tomcat is installed into /usr/local/tomcat-4.1.24 (CATALINA_HOME). Every developer and web application should now have its own instance somewhere (CATALINA_BASE).

For example: /home/chauser/tomcat in my case (CATALINA_BASE). This directory contains some folders: logs, conf, work, webapps, bin.

Which port to change?
In the conf directory I'd like to put a tailored versions of web.xml and server.xml, but I don't know which Port I have to change.

How to deal with user/root problems?
When I have a start, stop or restart script in <CATALINA_BASE>/bin, I cannot startup or shutdown tomcat, because the startup.sh and shutdown.sh (in <CATALINA_HOME>/bin) belong to root.

Is there a good Tomcat 4.1 administration reference available online (apart from the Tomcat documentation)? In about 2-3 weeks I'll get the book "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly)", however, I'd like to progress until then.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Christian