Hi Yoav

That could be the problem as well. So if the server is restarted my session counter variable is set to 0, but there might still be 30 active sessions.

I didn't think of that problem, because I thought that the sessions would be invalidated when the server is restarted.

Has anyone a good solution to this problem? Or should I just prevent the session counter variable from becoming negative and after a while (session timeout for all remaining sessions) the counter will be working correctly again?

Cheers,
  Christian

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Howdy,
I would mention one other possibility, unrelated to synchronization,
which may cause this behavior.

If your session listener simply increments a counter on every
sessionCreated() and decrements the counter on every sessionDestroyed(),
it is vulnerable to this behavior.

When the server is restarted, if there are active sessions they are
persisted by default.  Then the server comes back up, and all these
sessions are active, without a session created event, so your listener
has a counter value of 0, but there are actually >0 active sessions.
When these are destroyed as usual, sessionDestroyed() will be called for
them, decrementing your counter and resulting in a negative value.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics