Howdy,
I would mention one other possibility, unrelated to synchronization,
which may cause this behavior.

If your session listener simply increments a counter on every
sessionCreated() and decrements the counter on every sessionDestroyed(),
it is vulnerable to this behavior.

When the server is restarted, if there are active sessions they are
persisted by default.  Then the server comes back up, and all these
sessions are active, without a session created event, so your listener
has a counter value of 0, but there are actually >0 active sessions.
When these are destroyed as usual, sessionDestroyed() will be called for
them, decrementing your counter and resulting in a negative value.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.