I forgot to point out that in the test where opteron was beating xeon 2 to 1, it was a 2.8 Ghz Xeon losing to a 1.6 Ghz Opteron!!! So with almost half the clock speed it was twice as good as a Xeon. That's impressive....

I found some benchmarks that used another app server, but it's the same kind of software as tomcat, so it's a good comparison. The clear answer is that a new opteron is what you should get and it's LITERALLY twice as good in the role of an application server(like tomcat):

"Our most important server test for comparing the Opteron to the Xeon in an application server scenario is our 32-bit "Nile" application server benchmark. The test is both CPU and disk-intensive, and it emulates a book-ordering transaction-processing environment modeled on Amazon.com. The test uses Oracle 9i as the back-end, running on a Xeon 4P server, and uses BEA WebLogic Server 7.0.2 application server software. The BEA application server software runs on the test equipment – in this case we loaded it on both the 2P Opteron and 2P Xeon systems, with Windows 2000 with SP3 as the OS. "

" Results on the Nile benchmark showed the dual Opteron system outperforming the dual Xeon by a fairly wide margin. Across a 300 to 500 virtual user load, where transaction processing stabilized with both high disk and CPU utilization, the Xeon averaged 7.6 Pages Received per second, and the Opteron averaged 15.2 Pages Received per second, double the Xeon. In the response time measurements, at the 200 user load, average transaction time (start to finish) was approximately 34 seconds on the Xeon and 30 seconds on Opteron, but moving to 300 users, Opteron stayed at 30 seconds, and Xeon moved to 50 seconds. At 400 users, Opteron was 35 seconds, and Xeon was near 80 seconds. And at 500 users Opteron was about 50 seconds, and Xeon was near 100 seconds. See Nile Benchmark charts below."

20-30 simultaneous users doesn't sound like much. Personally, I'd love to get one of those new Opteron servers! 64 bit processor and when the real 64 bit windows becomes available in a couple months it could really scream and it'd scale up to huge levels of ram if you ever needed it. Or it'd be 64 bit already with linux/bsd/solaris/....

[you know you've been programming too long when you almost do Ctrl-s (like in eclipse) when you're finished with something instead of clickong on send]