oops ... Jakarta Httpclient.

So you will
- intercept the incoming request.
- depending on the request, ask another server for data.
- Mangle the other server data
- feed back to client.

This sounds like reinventing the wheel since there is XML-RPC or SOAP. (See apache axis project for more info)

Still ... jakarta HttpClient should be ok.

-Tim

Pike wrote:

Hi

thanks for your response

I would like to write a servlet that  intercepts http
requests, and optionally rebuilds and redirects
them to other (remote) servers.

Httpclient should work fine.

ehm .. which one ? the apache/commons ?
I'm afraid that's a little too restricted...

Ideally, if you wish to have a tomcat servlet act a proxy server,
be sure you read the HTTP specs with respect to proxy servers.
There are many gotchas.

I don't think I need to. Tomcat should behave as a plain webserver. Behind the scenes it fetches his data from elsewhere on the web. The client doesn't need to know that.

so, maybe I shouldn't call it a proxy.

Before writing too much code and IF you are able to use apache,
it would be infinitely easier to use mod_proxy.

mod_proxy doesnt actually _do_ anything does it ? it just proxies. I want to intercept the request and rebuild it (with some app logic) before sending it on...

I'm surprised it seems so hard to do.
I imagined there would be something like
HttpServletRequest.dispatch(url) for remote
requests.