But it's the same JVM... J2SDK 1.4.2_01 from Sun.
It's odd,  as you say.

BTW, we found another difference between WinXP with MSIE 6 and Win2k with
MSIE 5.5. The handle whitespace differently. A wrongly formatted JScript
include file with all the code in one line caused the WinXP installation to
generate HTML from JSP with most of the code squashed into the first line.
No such problem on Win2k. Could these two things, generated servlet
filenames and whitespace handling, be connected?

We don't have *big* problems with these effects, but the reason, why I am
still hoping for a good explanation is:
1. We are unsure, if these phenomena are caused by a *real* malfunction
behind the scenes, maybe in JVM or WinXP itself.
2. Searching for files is easier when you know what the file is named like.
;-)

Thanks again for any useful thought.
Regards

        Peter