Dear experts,

It may not be appropriate to ask this doubt here.Though i am aware of it , i
chose to ask here thinking that experts would forgive me.

Now the doubt is.......

In a web application, what is the performance difference of using singleton
class and a base servlet to do the database related operations such as
instance for further db operations.
I use a singleton class for my db requirements in jsps and servlets and also
in other beans.
One of my friends suggests that using base servlet to do the same work is
more efficient.
Can any one throw some more light on this topic.i want to improve the
performance of my web application.
Any white papers or pointing URLs are given astounding welcome.
thanks and regards
sat