To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: Which is the winner----Singleton Class or Base Servlet????

Both techniques have their advantaes and disadvantages. A singleton
class usually has problems when reloading the context. Using a Servlet
Base for JSPs makes you container version dependent (As the minimum
implementation required can change among jasper versions).

Anyway, the performance improvements you can achieve selecting between
these two options are probably minimal. Depending on your webapp DB
load, you could obtain a greater performance boost using a connection
pool. Look at the "JNDI DataSource HOW-TO" for more info about this :-)

Hope this help,
Rodrigo Ruiz

kgsat wrote:

Dear experts,

It may not be appropriate to ask this doubt here.Though i am aware of it

, i

chose to ask here thinking that experts would forgive me.

Now the doubt is.......

In a web application, what is the performance difference of using

singleton

class and a base servlet to do the database related operations such as
instance for further db operations.
I use a singleton class for my db requirements in jsps and servlets and

also

in other beans.
One of my friends suggests that using base servlet to do the same work is
more efficient.
Can any one throw some more light on this topic.i want to improve the
performance of my web application.
Any white papers or pointing URLs are given astounding welcome.
thanks and regards
sat