Typically there are 2 (or more exceptions shown). Usually the "bottom most" exception is the one your most interested in since that what through the real exception. The reason is because the JSP catches an exception, wraps it in a JSPException, and throws it where it is caught by the servlet engine and rewrapped into another exception (ServletException or appropriate).

-Tim

Nicholas Piper wrote:

Hi All,

I'm getting a JasperException when I try and run some JSP code. The
main problem with fixing it is that I've no idea how to read the
traceback. It doesn't seem to give many clues as to what's going
wrong.

The full thing is at http://www.hellaweb.com/hellabot/415

I guess there should be some other string between the () in the
description?

My project is at org.adl.*

The first few lines are:

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: org/adl/validator/contentpackage/CPValidator
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:254)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)

root cause

javax.servlet.ServletException: org/adl/validator/contentpackage/CPValidator
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:536)
 at org.apache.jsp.LMSCourseImport_jsp._jspService(LMSCourseImport_jsp.java:451)
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:210)

Thanks for any hints as to what this means!

Nick