Dick Steflik wrote:

I had the same question. In all of the years I've worked with Java I've always thought it was free of memory leaks. If you use a different compiler does the problem go away. Is that how people like JRun (Macromedia) and WebSphere (IBM) avoid the problem?

It could be. Someone here mentioned using Jikes for Tomcat as a workaround (solution). I know that Jikes has bugs, here and there, but it can be made to work and it comes with Tomcat. Considering that "javac" has an all present bug (this memory leak), Jikes is better. I guess commercial solutions use their own implementations or fork off to get rid of memory leak.

Why does JavaC have that memory leak?

Nix.