Hi!

Riaan Oberholzer wrote:
This is not a Tomcat issue, but I've tried desperately
and could find no answer elsewhere... can someone
please tell me how to get Tomcat working with
ZoneAlarm (free version) as firewall?

In general, it is very advisable to know what a firewall does and how it works before installing one. In general, ZoneAlarm is a (rather simple) packet filter, i.e. a piece of software that examines network packets as they arrive at or depart from the machine and decides on a set of rules to allow or deny them. If you want a so protected machine to run tomcat and access it from beyond the firewall, you need to add a rule that allows requests from external sources directed at port 80 (or whatever you set your tomcat to listen on) on the local machine and also to allow the responses from tomcat to any external host.
If you want to use SSL, you will have to allow those request/response-pairs as well.
You should, however concider wether you really need a firewall, if your machine is a pure server that does not serve other purposes. In that case, you should just close all ports you don't need. A closed port is no risk and if the listening software has flaws, a firewall wouldn't protect you either.

HTH

Phil