i have multiple webapps connecting to oracle within the same tomcat
instance.

removing ojdbc14.jar from all the webapps WEB-INF/lib and keeping only
one copy of ojdbc14.jar in common/lib works for me on tomcat 5.

if you are connecting via oci drivers, make sure that your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH points to your oracle home. i've added the following in
my catalina.sh startup file:

export ORACLE_BASE=/usr/local/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/9.2.0
export ORACLE_TERM=xterm
export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN;
export ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib
:/
lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

if you're using thin drivers, this should not be required.

apu