The first reason I can think of is configuration files.  I have one
environment on my development box, another on the test deployment box and
yet another on the final production server.  Depending on the box I'm on I'm
going to use different database URLs at a minimum and quite often I'm having
to use different directories for temporary/permanent files depending on
whether I'm on windows or unix.  If I put those configure files into jar
files I'd have to unjar the jars, change the files and then rejar the files
again.  It's much easier to leave those out of the jar files and have them
in the classes folder where you can just go and edit them.

--mikej
-=------
mike jackson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]