WEB-INF/classes takes precedence over WEB-INF/lib in the servlet spec: 2.3fcs, section "SRV.9.5 Directory Structure".
If WebLogic 6.1 behaves differently then it's another spec violation ;)

Jon

Justin Ruthenbeck wrote:

To you (the end-user), there's no purpose for it other than convenience. One thing to keep in mind is that classes in the /classes directory take precedence over those in jars found in the /lib directory (in Tomcat -- is this a spec thing? I'm assuming not as WL61 at lease doesn't do this), which is an important distinction that makes the difference more useful.

As for why it's useful, if you're developing an app and are constantly compiling and testing, why should you have to jar them up each time you compile the classes? Just stick them in the /classes dir. On the other hand, releasing and versioning code is much easier as a jar. Give people flexibility and they'll come up with new and wonderous things...

justin