Just for historical accuracy (not that anyone cares)... ;)

I looked back at the 2.2 spec and, as Yoav mentioned, it doesn't say anything about class loading order from the /classes and /lib directories. Although WL61 is 2.3 non-final compliant, apparently the ordering clarification didn't make it into that release.

justin

At 05:58 AM 3/2/2004, you wrote:

Hi,

>WEB-INF/classes takes precedence over WEB-INF/lib in the servlet spec:
>2.3fcs, section "SRV.9.5 Directory Structure".
>If WebLogic 6.1 behaves differently then it's another spec violation ;)

WL6.1 is Servlet Specification 2.2-compliant, not 2.3.  I think that
intended to be this way, so tomcat is (and has always been) correctly
implemented in this regard.

Yoav Shapira

>Justin Ruthenbeck wrote:
>>
>> To you (the end-user), there's no purpose for it other than
>> convenience.  One thing to keep in mind is that classes in the
/classes
>> directory take precedence over those in jars found in the /lib
directory
>> (in Tomcat -- is this a spec thing? I'm assuming not as WL61 at lease
>> doesn't do this), which is an important distinction that makes the
>> difference more useful.
>>
>> As for why it's useful, if you're developing an app and are
constantly
>> compiling and testing, why should you have to jar them up each time
you
>> compile the classes?  Just stick them in the /classes dir.  On the
other
>> hand, releasing and versioning code is much easier as a jar.  Give
>> people flexibility and they'll come up with new and wonderous
things...

>> justin
>>

>> At 05:45 PM 3/1/2004, you wrote:
>>
>>> This is not a question to fix a problem other then one in my head.
>>> am not sure what the difference is putting a jar in a \WEB-INF\lib
and
>>> setting up a \WEB-INF\classes.  Since a jar usually just includes
>>> class files if we put a jar in the webapp's \WEB-INF\lib what would
be
>>> the purpose of setting the tree of classes expanded in
WEB-INF\classes?

>>> Let me give an example.  In Tomcat 4.1.30 there is a server folder.
>>> Under this exists webapps.  And then under this are two folders
admin
>>> and manager.  Looking at the admin webapp you will find its WEB-INF
>>> and under that it has a lib and a classes folder.  The lib folder
>>> contains just one jar, ie: struts.jar.  But the classes folder
>>> contains the tree of what looks to me is the structure of a jar ie;
>>> org | apache | webapp | admin| ...  I am not sure if this is just an
>>> expanded struts.jar but it looks to be.  If not struts.jar then
likely
>>> some other jar.
>>>
>>> So my question is what is the purpose of having an extracted jar
>>> structure under a classes folder?  I have made my own webapp but I
do
>>> not have a classes folder under that because I have yet to come
across
>>> the purpose of when it is necessary?  Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> George Hester

>> Justin Ruthenbeck
>> Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
>> justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com
>> Confidential. See:
>> http://www.nextengine.com/confidentiality.php

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.