You have to consider 3 different topics:
- encoding of generated java files
  This is defined by the file.encoding option of the jvm.

- encoding of the response
  This is defined by the encoding tag of the jsp or by
  explicitly setting the encoding in the response

- encoding of the request
  This is defined by explicitly setting the encoding
  for the request.