With due respect to everyone's opinion on this thread, I really appreciate
it if this topic was taken offline. I think other than filling up people's
mailbox, I don't seem to see any technical knowledge being shared.
Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
RS

                      Christopher Schultz

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Tomcat Users List

                      omcast.net>                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                                      cc:

                      03/02/2004 10:42 AM             Subject:  Re: Virtual Hosts with
Apache and Tomcat
                      Please respond to

                      "Tomcat Users List"

Kennan,

> I can agree partially to yours. But if you see him, he doesn't know about
> the impact of JVM and tuning parameters, as he mentioned in his email. Do
> you expect him to take a lead in fixing that? I have seen the projects
> losing its focus by the nature of peoples deviating to get their
interests
> fulfilled.

This is not a 'special' interest. This is a legitimate resource leak
that he wants them to fix. He can demonstrate the leak. That's all
that's necessary on his part. The rest is up to the developers. I'm not
suggesting that he fix the problem. Only to demonstrate it and get the
developers to fix the problem.

> I would appreciate, if the developer and sysadmin working together in
this
> problem (i doubt verymuch as sysadmin involvment, all he can do is give
> "top" or "sar" reports). Sysadmin has much knowledge in configuring
servers,
> architect the infrastructure, manage the network, backups etc.

Yes, but *this* sysadmin also has enpirical data that demonstrates the
resource leak. Forget sar and top. How about "the app locks up". That
should be motivating enough.

> I never seen any sysadmin trying to fine tune any Application Servers.

Actually, the sysadmin is the /perfect/ person to fine-tune app servers.
Most devs don't know jack about the app server they use. That's why they
deploy onto app servers with standard interfaces and services (Servlet
and JSP spec). The deployment and admin folks are the ones who should
know how to configure the app servers.

> If
> that is the case, then the project sucess will be in stake. Everyone has
> do their own roles. If I would be the sysadmin, then i would tell the
> developers to go these newsgroups. Dont you think that most of developers
> resolve their issues by newsgroups and websites for their problems.

Here's the problem: the devs refuse to admit there's a problem. They
won't go to the newsgroups to ask about a problem that they don't
believe exists. That's why the sysadmin is here. He wanted to get some
information on how to prove that there's a leak. He's gotton that
information. Let's wait for the devs to visit the group, now ;)

> He clearly mentioned that the developeers raised that questions and
trying
> to get the verification from the newsgroups. Dont you think that is the
part
> of communication gap between the developers and him. If he is very keen,
why
> not one of the developers responding his thread and get the issues fixed
for
> the project.

I think the problem is that the devs think the sysadmin is foolish and
wrong about the resource leak. Now that he can demonstrate the leak,
they will take him more seriously.

I believe that we have helped in this situation, and that the devs will
now address the problem instead of sticking their heads in the sand.

-chris
(See attached file: signature.asc)

This transmission is intended to be strictly confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy
or disseminate this information. If you have received this in error, please
reply and notify the sender (only) and delete the message. Unauthorized
interception of this e-mail is a violation of federal criminal law.