No that's not true,

My colleges and me are doing both sides of the border
(me being mainly a developer, others being mainly sysadmins
but we don't have any person that's not doing at least 20%
of the other side's job (It's a bit of pair sysadministration)

I don't like the notion of pure programmers and pure sys admins.
(If the the organsation gets big enough you need such roles, but
it's alway good to have some people in each group that know the
other side well enough)