See my other message for the reasoning.  I would recommend not to use
commons-logging in your code.  It does nothing for you and can only cause
problems.  Just use Log4j directly.  If other apps use commons-logging such as
Struts, you'll obviously have to include commons-logging, but don't let it
influence you to use it directly.  Seriously, I've never seen it do any good and
only bad.  Check out...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-user&m=102640868804904

http://qos.ch/logging/thinkAgain.html

Commons Logging was my fault