putValue and getValue have been deprecated.
See: http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpSession.html

Use setAttribute and getAttribute instead.

On Thursday 20 May 2004 08:41 am, M.Hockings wrote:
> My ISP has just upgraded the servlet container from Tomcat 4.1 (which
> was working just fine BTW) to Tomcat 5.0 (5.0.19 I believe).  I have had
> several webapps successfully deployed under Tomcat 4.1 that were causing
> Tomcat 5 not to start.  For the most part I think I have fixed all of
> these problems (largely a miss-configuration of log4j) but still one
> major problem remains.
>
> The remaining problem is that session data does not seem to be preserved
> from page to page.  That is, if on a simple .jsp I have something like:
>
>    myPackage.myClass ml = new myPackage.myClass();
>    session.putValue("ml",ml);
>
> Then do a form-based submit to a second jsp which contains:
>
>    <jsp:useBean id="ml" scope="session" type="myPackage.myClass" />
>
> Then I get an error saying
>
>    javax.servlet.ServletException: bean ml not found within scope
>
> If I try to manually extract the ml attribute from the session in the
> second .jsp I find that it is not set.
>
> I have done some Googling about this problem but I don't see anything
> that would help -- the hits were largely about clustering.  In my case I
> do not have access to the Tomcat config (server.xml) and have to live
> with how things are configured at the ISP.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?  If so, is there a solution?
>
> To test this I have also installed Tomcat 5.0.24 on my laptop (Win2K)
> where it exhibits the same problem and on a Linux (Fedora Core 1)
> machine where it does not exhibit this problem. Both are running on
> Sun's 1.4 JDK with the stock (as shipped) server.xml.
>
> The ISP which has been very responsive in the past is being not all that
> helpful and they had the active component of the sites down for the best
> part of a week!
>
> Mike

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

This e-mail message, and any accompanying documents, is for the sole use of
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or
copying is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact our office by email or by telephone at (508) 747-7261 and
immediately destroy all copies of the original message.