        This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  I think HAVING poor
designs leads to poor design.  Using <% %> might make it look ugly, but it won't
affect the design itself (I am not speaking of graphical design here, I am speaking of
program design)

> Embedding Java
> code directly into a presentation page leans towards placing business
> logic in the presentation tier, which is BAD design.

        Isn't that EXACTLY what c:foreach and c:if tags encourage?  Having logic
inside presentation?  Embedding java code doesn't necessarily mean logic.  <% for (
Iterator I = collection.iterator(); i.hasNext(); ) { %>
                Do stuff
                <% } %>

Seems much better than:
        <c:set var="myCollection" value="<%=collectionFromCode%>"/>
        <c:for item="${myCollection}" test="<%=somecmplicated test here%>">
                Do stuff
        <c:for>

Again, it's not what u use (JSTL or java) that makes a bad design, itâs a bad
designer that makes a bad design.

> If you have to
> process your data objects on the presentation page you have a problem.
> It is better to construct a "bean" that contains all the information
> required for the page, embed it in the session when you serve the JSP
> and just pull data out of the bean. Need to loop? Use iterators in the
> bean. Need to construct a new object in the page? Why? This is
> presentation!
>

>  >Customer isn't worth the trouble?  Maybe that theory of thought is the
>  >reason why you're using Japanese mail server?
>
>  >    Good luck with your developers.  Can I have the name of your
> >company
> plz?  I'll make sure never to buy anything from it
>
> No need to get personal, this is a debate not a slagging match.
>

> -Mike Fowler
> "I could be a genius if I just put my mind to it, and I,
> I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it"

---