Ivan Jouikov wrote, On 7/4/2004 1:04 PM:
1.      JSTL and EL are inefficient.  Tests on similar pages clearly showed
that.  (compare - ${name} with <%=name%>, run in a loop 10000 times,
youÐ-?ll see the difference)

Sure it will be slower, it is really java classes under the hood trying to hide complexity of scriptlet code. Is that a bad thing? Not really, helper classes a great, we create them to handle business logic, why not more for view components. The latest hardware is getting less expensive so I do not feel this argument holds (especially with the new 64 bit processers and DDR memory).

You don't feel this argument holds? When you have a poor little tomcat running 100 different web applications with 10,000 clicks/day
on each, it DOES become an issue. Your choice: get a new server, OR
replace all the ${} with <%=%>. I've been faced with similar
situation many times, and trust me, it drives you nuts.

Heh, I was recently faced with a similar decision. One page coded with scriptlets and a few nested for loops was replaced with JSTL and <c:forEach/>, unfortunately CPU utilization and page response times went up about 10x, from .5 seconds to 5+ seconds which is unacceptable.

Took me a while to figure out why the page had started responding slowly. Then I replaced JSTL tags with scriptlets with timers around the loops and watched page load times go down significantly.

I would like to use JSTL as I do find it a lot easier to read than scriptlets, but in this case the performance hit was unbearable. Maybe when I can get the go-ahead for some faster hardware the performance hit will be negligible.

-Dave