Hi Wendy, Thanks so much for your help by the way. I didn't actually realize that I don't need apache. It that's the case then I'll go without it for the moment. Thanks for the advice and your long reply which has made everything much clearer now. I looked up some stuff about something called jk and started working my way through it, but it seems to leave bits out. If I don't need it, I won't bother.

Well at least I'm up and running thanks to you. Take care and thanks again.

Julian

Wendy Smoak wrote:

From: "Julian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Wendy. That part works great. I get the welcome page and the samples
are good too.

Okay... then where do you want to go from here? It sounds like you're wanting to put your JSP files over in your Apache document root. While you probably *could* get it to work that way, that's not typically how this works. JSP's belong to a "webapp" and those are Tomcat entities, generally living under /path/to/tomcat/webapps. Look there and you'll see a couple that come with Tomcat-- 'examples' and 'ROOT' for example.

The easiest thing to do while playing around and learning is to just add
things to the existing 'examples' webapp.  Most of the tutorials you find on
the web will work if you put them there.  Then you'll learn to create your
own webapp, which will be placed right beside 'examples', then to create a
.war file and deploy it, etc...

Is Apache important to you?  Tomcat works just fine standalone... you can
even change server.xml so that Tomcat listens on port 80.  This is what I do
on my development box, although we do use Apache+Tomcat in production.