Thanks for the responses so far on this topic.  Seems like I need to
elaborate a little....

We are looking towards Tomcat clustering to solve a problem caused by
so-called Megaproxy ISPs such as AOL, etc. These ISPs make it look as if
the same client is coming from multiple IP addresses.  This breaks our
app, quite simply. We're hoping that clustering, with its replicated
session data will resolve the problem where a customer hitting one
physical server and adding items to the cart (and therefore session data)
then goes to checkout and at that moment they appear to be coming from a
different IP address and end up on the other physical server and an empty
cart!

Load balancing with "stickiness" helps some, but not completely. Add SSL
requirements to the mix and you can imagine the headache. There are lots
of load balancing and hardware accellerator vendors professing to have a
solution, but none of these are really addressing the root problem.

So, with all this said, is it possible to make two or more physical
servers talk as a Tomcat cluster without Apache or IIS, etc.?  All
references seem to rely on Apache to make clustering happen.  (just like
some texts on JSP rely too much on using Struts to teach JSP! <end rant>).

Thanks for any help/ideas.
MitchellT