Hi,

>In both servers the Resource declarations are in the <DefaultContext>
>block.  All DataSources are shared by all webapps.

You realize that by placing a Resource in DefaultContext you ensure that
a separate copy is created for each Context, right?  That means if you
configure for 10 max connections and have 5 Contexts, you will have 5
DataSources with 50 total max connections possible.  Unless this is
really what you want, consider having the DataSource defined in the
actual Context element instead of DefaultContext.

>I do not have a
>resource-ref declaration in either web.xml ... I'll go look that up and
>remedy.

OK -- it's required.

What is the purpose of the factory parameter, and what is an
>appropriate value?

To specify a factory for pooling connections.  The default value for
DBCP is <parameter>
  <name>factory</name>
</parameter>

This is documented on the JNDI DataSources How-To page.  I suggest you
read it if you haven't already:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples
-howto.html.

Yoav Shapira