I'm sure your explanation as well as a (re) reading of the How To will allow me to correct the problem. Thanks very much!
I'd like a little more explanation however about your advice on using DefaultContext. In addition to the advantage of having a single place to add, remove, and change resources and resource parameters (e.g. passwords), I THOUGHT I was sharing a single copy of the resources. I understand now that a separate copy is created for every application. But what I don't understand is how putting every resource in every "actual" context is better. If I have 5 applications, each of whose "actual" context contain 10 connections, won't I still have 50 connections?

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

You realize that by placing a Resource in DefaultContext you ensure that
a separate copy is created for each Context, right?  That means if you
configure for 10 max connections and have 5 Contexts, you will have 5
DataSources with 50 total max connections possible.  Unless this is
really what you want, consider having the DataSource defined in the
actual Context element instead of DefaultContext.