Hi Andoni & Yoav.

Tried what Andoni recommended - no joy.
>From the documentation, inorder to access admin and manager webapp the user
must have those respective roles.

I've commented out the Realm code in server.xml, so effectively there no
encyption on any passwords, just the password authentification from
tomcat-users.xml.

Tried Yoav's suggestion of defining rolenames for admin and manager - no
joy.

I agree with you Yoav - it is a trivial thing, but it's not working.

A couple of questions:

a) does Apache need to be restarted (aswell as tomcat) when any changes are
made to tomcat-user.xml, etc.?
b) which file can I look in to check $CATALINA_HOME?

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andoni [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 14 October 2004 14:43
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: administration webapp

Hi,

Make the following the entire contents of your tomcat-users.xml file and all
will be happy.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="express"/>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
  <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
  <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
  <user username="express" password="thames" roles="manager,admin"/>
</tomcat-users>

Andoni.