Hi,

     I've heard tomcat supports clustering, but I'm thinking about a
similar, but different situation: having a duplicate server at a
distant hosting center, set up to take over if the first server or the
first hosting center encounter problems.

     This isn't about load, so much as reliability.  I don't *think*
there are any special things I need to do at the tomcat level, but I
figure it can't hurt to ask if I'm missing something.

     My basic configuration is apache/tomcat/mysql.  I think I just
need to keep the tomcat webapps on the same version of my application,
and that's about it for apache and tomcat.  I especially have to make
sure the application code is using the same database schema, so I
don't get inconsistent data being written to the database.

     The main trick isn't gonig to be tomcat but all, but rather
making sure the mysql database on the second server is set up to
mirror the first database, with frequent updates to minimize the
window of lost data.  The main worry is going to be if the second
machine has to take over, and some new data is created in the first
machine after that point (i.e. the data gets out of sync).  I'm
guessing the short answer is to either count that data as lost
(i.e. "Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this." "Don't do that."), or
selectively copy the new data over to the second machine, then drop
the first database and copy the second database over to the first
server.

--
Steven J. Owens
[EMAIL PROTECTED]