On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:09:08 -0500, Shapira, Yoav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you're looking for anything but the simplest
> logging features, log4j is far superior.

I disagree with this statement, as it's too general. Personally, I
consider what is definitely superior in log4j are the many logger
implementations. As far as I can tell, these could (= should) be
ported to the java.logging API.

I see many people (including my company) moving away from the log4j
API, and going to commons-logging in order to get unified logging.
Ceki's continual refusal to engage in standardization process
(whatever his motivations for this are) has been very unproductive and
damaging for the Java platform as a whole, since the need of wrapper
APIs (= useless complexity) has been made unavoidable. As a result,
I'm extremely unhappy with log4j from a political point of view, and
will unfortunately have to veto any proposal to ship it with Tomcat.

Note 1: I have added a placeholder chapter in the documentation to
have detailed instructions to use the various logging frameworks.
Contributions welcome :)

Note 2: the logging category used by each component is given in the
configuration reference.
For example, the context category is
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[enginename].[hostname].[path]
As a result, you can easily specify a logger for a whole host.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat