On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:34:09 -0500, Shapira, Yoav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Many of the relevant logging "standards" (given that there's no JSR) are
> derived (if not plain copied) from log4j.  Furthermore, the log4j people
> have been working for improve standards and teamwork in this area, with
> Logging Services TLP and its other projects like log4net, log4cpp, etc.

Nice, but this is irrelevant ;)

There was a dominant logging framework (log4j). At some point, there
was a need to do a logging standard. The Java standard is
(unfortunately or not) governed mostly by the JCP. As a result, if
log4j wanted to become the approved standard for the whole Java-land,
and prevent the apparition of "forked" standards, it *had* to
participate in that. Ceki chose not to and decided to put out Jon-like
rants instead (I think the rant is quite justified, but you really
have to be willing to make some compromises sometimes ...), and as a
result, we have two dominant logging APIs now (log4j and
java.logging). Without java.logging, we could probably ignore all APIs
but log4j, so the need for commons-logging would be much smaller.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat