On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:15:36 -0500, Vy Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply.  I am sorry that what I said is not true.
> Tested more with version 5.0.28 of Tomcat also produce the same result.
> Please see if this is "normal" behavior:
>
> I have an axis application, basically return a "hello world", I tried
> this with:
>
> 1) Axis 1.1
> 2) Axis 1.2
> 3) Tomcat 5.0.28
> 4) Tomcat 5.5.4
>
> Some combinations of those.  They all produce connection refuse.  The
> max thread is 200, the acceptCount is 100.
>
> On the client side, I also send in some data roughly the size of "hello
> world".
>
> I have about 30 threads running, each continuously make requests to the
> server for about 100 requests for each threads.  Some tests, I also put
> random wait time between requests for each thread in around 200
> miliseconds.  Some test, there is no wait time, after the first request
> finish, I would make a next one.
>
> After a while, some of the threads will generate exception: connection
> refused.  With 30 threads, this seems to be low to me.  Both the client
> and server sits in a same machime.
>
> My question is this: is this load/scenario normal? If not, I'll be happy
> to put together a test client and a test Soap Axis server code for you
> to investigate.  You can easily take one of the example client, put it
> in 30 threads, and spin it 100 times in each thread.

Well, although it doesn't seem much on the client, on the server side,
it's IMO another story. Web services involve XML, which is very CPU
intensive, so 30 concurrent requests is quite a bit. You can try to
check the CPU usage of processes to see if the server process is maxed
out (it probably is).

With 5.5.4, you can attempt to increase the priority of the socket
accepting thread. I don't know if it'll make a difference (this is
untested at the moment), but, add the following to your Connector
element:
strategy="ms" threadPriority="8"

Also, I noticed Windows is quite "connection failure"-happy,
especially in localhost. I don't know if you're using Windows.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat