Simone Pierazzini wrote:
Hi,
I use URLClassLoader to create class loaders that manage jars in WEB-INF/classes
In WEB-INF/classes I have many jars that are incompatible each other
(they have different classes with the same name inside).

Suppose I want to load the following files as resources from a classLoader:
- pippo.txt
- pippo.jar

In the first case I tried the line:
classLoader.getResource("pippo.txt")

and correctly the returned URL was:
 file:/ ... /myapp/WEB-INF/classes/pippo.txt

where "..." stands for $CATALINA_HOME
while, trying to get the second file:
classLoader.getResource("pippo.jar")

tomcat returned the following url:
 file:/ ... /work/Catalina/localhost/myapp/loader/pippo.jar

but the directory "... /work/Catalina/localhost/myapp/loader/" does
not contain pippo.jar
that is placed in  .../myapp/WEB-INF/classes/pippo.jar

thanks in advance
Simone Pierazzini

I never try to use relative paths in getResource. I always do this getResource("/pippo.jar"); Also, I usually pick a class in my package that I know will certainly be in my web-app classes folder or one of it's jars. This way the classloader used for my call will know about my objects and classes at it's level....so it doesn't make delegate calls...and I use com.mydomain.mypackage.MyClass.class.getResource instead of using the classloader call though that should not matter....

Maybe try to prepend a / to that file name. Read the javadoc documentation for the method Class.getResource to understand the / before the name of the file. Anyways, I always use the Class.getResource call as I mentioned above and I never have problems....I also am sure to use the / to make it an absolute classpath. Read those java docs to understand more.

Hope you have some luck with that.

Wade