I use a directory that belongs to the owner of Tomcat and is located outside of the Tomcat directory. It really is a matter of preference. As for not overwriting the files, I have yet to read anything on this. How would you determine which file to keep and which to overwrite? If you never deleted any files then the directory would fill with abandoned file that belonged to prior versions of your app. That means you would have to manage the files manually and with that is the chance to delete a file belonging to your app.

Simple terms, pick a place just for them use it.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric VERGNAUD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 5:11 PM
Subject: Best place to store files ?

Hi,

I'm developing a servlet which needs to handle file uploads and downloads. I
manage to store the files in a directory inside my servlet, but each time I
upload a new version of my servlet, the files are destroyed.

Is there a preferred place to store such files in Tomcat, or is this
entirely up to the developer and the catalina.policy file ?

Is there a way to tell Tomcat NOT to erase existing files in a servlet, but
only overwrite them with files from the war file ?

Eric VERGNAUD - JLynx Software
Cutting-edge technologies and
services for software companies
web: http://www.jlynx.com