To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
From: Jason Bainbridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2005-03-01 12:41PM
Subject: Re: Installation problems on Windows

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 06:43:06 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> You're right about jvm.dll... one typo and a bunch of cut-and-paste.
>
> None of the options you mentioned worked. Starting with using the ZIP
file
> directly, I apparently have some JAVA_HOME or CLASSPATH problems that
> prevent the service.bat (is that the one I want to install the Windows XP
> service?) from completing. I've never had to pay a lot of attention to
> CLASSPATH at the Windows level, since I use WSAD/Eclipse. JAVA_HOME is
new
> to me, and I was counting on the installer to take care of this mundane
> detail.

Yes service.bat will install the Windows service for you, but have you
tried just running the startup.bat that is distributed with the .zip
version of Tomcat? JAVA_HOME is the only environment variable you
should need to set in a simple Windows installation like this and
remember setting Environment Variables in Windows is quite a fickle
thing, like if you change one and then try to run something from a
Windows Explorer window you had open beforehand then it will use the
old settings still and some bizarre times you need to reboot the box.

> That said, I *did* set JAVA_HOME to both the public J2RE1.4.2_07, and the
> full J2SDK1.4.2_07 on separate installer attempts, along with adding the
> respective /bin directories to the Path. No go either.
> Installing to a directory without spaces (C:\www\tomcat5.0) didn't help.
In
> any case, Windows hasn't had a problem with spaces in directory names
since
> Win2K, so I'd be surprised if that were truly the problem.

Says who? I've had plenty of problems in Win2k and XP, none of my
sites use Windows 2003 so I can't comment there but I am sure there
would be problems there also.

> There are a zillion programs that use Windows installers successfully,
and
> if I read the mail archives correctly, Tomcat didn't used to have this
> problem in versions prior to 5.0.19.

Remember Tomcat is an Open Source application and hence perfection
can't be expected, the installer is provided as a convenience and
works in the majority of cases, it sounds like you have some sort of
security problem somewhere.

> Does the installation process actually transfer control to the JVM
partway
> through (which is what "Using jvm ....jvm.dll" implies)? If so, what
would
> prevent that transfer of control to the JVM? I've successfully compiled
and
> run Java applications in WSAD/Eclipse on this machine, so there is
nothing
> inherent in my Windows setup that is JVM-unfriendly. Perhaps there's a
fix
> around the corner?

It is most likely doing whatever service.bat does to install the
service, the installer is just a wrapper to copy things and what not,
it doesn't have too many smarts in it as far as I know.

Try looking in your Windows event logs especially the Security one, it
sounds like something out of the ordinary in your windows setup
causing the problems, usually getting Tomcat up and running is a
matter of minutes.

Regards,
--

Jason Bainbridge