Well, after a final swipe through the registry and a reboot, service.bat
installed the Tomcat service correctly.

Many thanks to all who helped me work through this Windows installation
issue.

A short recap for latecomers to the thread:

The binary distributions of Tomcat 5.5.4, 5.5.7, and 5.0.28 all failed to
install correctly, each hanging at the same point -- just after the "Using
jvm..." message. These installation failures happened regardless of which
JDK or JRE was referenced during the installation: 1.4.2_06, 1.4.2_07, or
1.5.0_01 (or even Sun's J2EE JDK installed as part of the SunOne reference
AppServer)

The .ZIP installations also failed to install Tomcat as a service using
service.bat.

Steps I took to resolve the problem above:
1) Install the .ZIP distribution over the default installation directories
started by the binary installer (\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5). You can probably install to a directory of your
choice, but I thought I'd leverage the default, had the installer completed
correctly.
2) Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to the parent directory of the
1.5 JDK  -- *not* the private or public JRE that installs with the JDK. In
my case, JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\JDK1.5.0_01. (It's possible to
find docs on the Tomcat site indicating that Tomcat 5.5.x can use a JRE and
doesn't require a JDK. That is apparently not always true, at least not
during installation).
3) Remove any lingering Registry entries placed there by a failed binary
installation. I searched on "tomcat" and deleted any key found.
4) Verify there is *not* a Windows service named "Tomcat" or "Apache
Tomcat" or similar. If there is, you may have to remove registry entries
(see step 3 above) and reboot before proceeding.
5) Finally, run "service install" in the tomcat bin directory from a
command window. If all goes well, Tomcat will now appear as a Windows
service.

Steve